Brink's Reports 3Q Profits Down 28.3 Percent
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) ¿ Armored car company Brink's Co. said Thursday that its third-quarter profit fell 28.3 percent as the weak economy limited sales of diamonds and jewelry ¿ two key items the company's vehicles transport.
The results for the company, based in Richmond, Va., fell below analysts' adjusted expectations, and shares slipped in morning trading.
The company said it earned $34.4 million, or 72 cents a share, in the three-month period ended Sept. 30. In the same period last year, the company earned $48 million, or $1.03 a share.
Excluding one-time items, including an acquisition related gain in the current year's third quarter and gains from discontinued operations, the company earned 41 cents a share.According to Thomson Reuters, analysts predicted earnings per share of 49 cents. Their estimates typically exclude one-time items. Revenue in the quarter fell 1.4 percent to $801.8 million from $813.4 million in the same period a year earlier. That was higher than the $780.2 million analysts had predicted in revenue. Shares slipped 9 cents to close at $24.67 Thursday. CEO Michael T. Dan said the economy continues to hurt the business. He said the company expects organic revenue to grow in the low to mid-single digit percentages in 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV