SEATTLE (TheStreet) -- Boeing (BA) says it will establish a second 787 assembly line in North Charleston, S.C., a blow to Washington state and the International Association of Machinists and a boost to the South Carolina economy.
Although Washington state officials mounted an intense effort to retain 787 production, South Carolina offered an incentive package, recently approved by the state legislature, and a non-union environment.
Boeing shares closed Wednesday at $47.22, down 53 cents. But about an hour after the close, and following the announcement of the Charleston site, shares were up 93 cents at $48.20.
In the third quarter, delays related to the 787 were a major drag on Boeing earnings. The company took a $1 billion pretax charge against the 747-8 freighter program, largely because of delays resulting from the deployment of engineers to the 787.The company also took a noncash charge of $2.5 billion because it concluded it couldn't sell the first three 787 test-flight airplanes and therefore reclassified them from inventory to research and development expense. The net loss in the quarter was $1.6 billion. On an earnings conference call last week, CEO Jim McNerney said Boeing remains unhappy with the continued threat of strikes by its IAM workers in Everett, Wash. "Establishing a second 787 assembly line in Charleston will expand our production capability to meet the market demand for the airplane," said Jim Albaugh, CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes, in a prepared statement. He said the decision "allows us to continue building on the synergies we have established in South Carolina" and will enable Boeing to ramp up to production of ten 787s a month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV