MILLBURN, N.J. (TheStreet) -- On Wednesday, weather permitting, the New York Yankees will begin the quest for their 27th World Series championship, challenging reigning champs the Philadelphia Phillies. But before you plop down in your Barcalounger, don your favorite team's attire and throw back a cold one, here is the Finance Professor's guide to investing for the World Series.
Do you have your Alex Rodriguez or Ryan Howard jersey? How about that navy blue Yankee hat with the interlocking "NY" or the fire-red Phillies hat with the fancy "P"? You'll probably want to decorate that den with a few team banners and knickknacks as well, and it's getting cold out there, so maybe a team throw blanket will warm you up during the late-night games.
You can find all of those items at Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS), a sporting goods and apparel chain with 409 stores nationwide. In New York State, it has 31 stores. In New Jersey, which connects New York with Philadelphia by way of the Amtrak train line and New Jersey Turnpike, it has another 13 stores. In all of Pennsylvania, there are another 36 stores, eight of which are in the Philadelphia metro area.All told, anywhere between 52 and 80 Dick's stores cover Yankee and Phillies territory, or about 13% to 20% of all Dick's stores. This doesn't include stores in areas where many displaced New Yorkers or Philadelphians live. A World Series, Super Bowl or NCAA Final Four can add a few percentage points to sales. A 5% increase to 20% of stores adds 1% to same-store sales for the month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV