Waste Services Surges on Volume Spike
BURLINGTON, Ontario ( TheStreet) -- Waste Services (WSII) shares jumped Wednesday on above-average volume after the waste disposal company reported better-than-expected earnings for the third quarter.
Waste Services said late Tuesday it had third-quarter earnings of 15 cents a share, nearly doubling from the year-ago quarter to beat the Thomson Reuters average estimate of 11 cents a share. Revenue slipped 10% from a year ago to $112.5 million, in line with the single analyst estimate of $112.1 million.
Shares of Waste Services were rising by 59 cents, or 11%, to $5.95. Earlier in the session, the stock touched an intraday high of $6.13. More than 70,000 shares changed hands in the first 20 minutes of trading Wednesday, compared to the stock's 50-day average daily volume of 100,000, according to the Nasdaq.
Waste Services has a 41.5 million-share float with a short interest float of 1% as of Sept. 25, according to Yahoo! Finance. Insiders hold 37.5% of the company's shares with another 29.9% owned by institutions.Investors posting on Internet message boards noted that nearly 1.3 million shares of Waste Services changed hands on Oct. 20 as the stock jumped 9.2%. Some traders speculated that volume spike was due to a new institutional buyer taking a position ahead of Tuesday's earnings report. -- Written by Robert Holmes in New York. Check out all of Wednesday's high-volume, under-$5 stocks at the Dollar Store Follow Robert Holmes on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV