Vivus, Analyst in Obesity Drug Side-Effect Spat
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. (TheStreet) -- Did a winner emerge from this week's Obesity Society meeting?
It's kind of hard to tell. The meeting, which wraps today, was a bit anti-climatic. Data presentations from the three small drug makers racing to develop new weight-loss drugs were largely in-line, offering little new information from what investors had already seen.
Perhaps Arena Pharmaceuticals (ARNA) can lay claim to the top prize, but only because its stock dropped less -- 3% from Friday through Tuesday -- than its competitors. Orexigen Therapeutics (OREX) shares fell 8% in the same time frame while shares of Vivus (VVUS) lost 9%.
Vivus played a central role in what may be the only excitement to emerge from the Obesity Society meeting. The stock fell 15% Tuesday after Cowen issued a note to clients that accused Vivus of hiding the extent to which central nervous side effects of its weight-loss drug Qnexa had forced patients to withdraw from two phase III studies.According to a Cowen analysis of data from two phase III trials presented Saturday, 2.6% and 2.1% of patients treated with full-dose Qnexa, respectively, dropped out of the studies due to cognitive side effects like "disturbance in attention" or "forgetfulness." This is compared to a placebo dropout rate of 0.8% and 0.3% in the two studies. Cowen says Vivus didn't disclose these dropouts when the company reported top-line data from the Qnexa trials in September. "We believe adverse events such as "disturbance in attention," "memory impairment," "amnesia," "aphasia" and "cognitive disorder" -- even if relatively rare -- will prove to be serious regulatory hurdles for a weight-loss drug. Therefore, we now have reduced conviction in the approvability of Qnexa, and partnering prospects also may be reduced," wrote Cowen analyst Ian Sanderson.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV