US Mining Company Says Mine Seized In Venezuela
CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) ¿ U.S. mining company Gold Reserve Inc. said Tuesday that President Hugo Chavez's government has seized control of its lucrative Venezuelan gold mine as socialist authorities assert control over the nation's mineral resources.
Government officials on Monday took control of Gold Reserve's Brisas del Cuyuni project in southeastern Bolivar state ¿ part of its larger Brisas mine, which holds an estimated 10.2 million ounces of gold, the Spokane, Washington-based company said in a statement.
Government officials could not be immediately reached for comment, and it was not clear whether the company would be compensated.
The action came days after Gold Reserve filed for international arbitration for roughly $300 million in investments and $5 billion in future profits from its Venezuela properties, which include a second mining project in Bolivar state known as Choco 5.The takeover is "a further demonstration of the government's earlier decision to expropriate the entire Brisas project," company president Doug Belanger said in the statement. Private gold mining has become increasingly uncertain in Venezuela as Chavez has vowed to assert greater state control over mineral resources to supplement the nation's income from the dominant oil industry. In May, his government refused to renew Gold Reserve's Brisas del Cuyuni concession.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV