US Mining Company Says Mine Seized In Venezuela
CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) ¿ U.S. mining company Gold Reserve Inc. said Tuesday that President Hugo Chavez's government has seized control of its Venezuelan gold mine as socialist authorities assert control over the nation's mineral resources.
Government officials on Monday took control of Gold Reserve's Brisas del Cuyuni project in southeastern Bolivar state ¿ part of its larger Brisas mine, which holds an estimated 10.2 million ounces of gold, the Spokane, Washington-based company said in a statement.
The mine has not yet entered production.Government officials could not be immediately reached for comment on the takeover, and it was not clear whether the company would be compensated. The action came days after Gold Reserve filed for international arbitration for roughly $300 million in investments and $5 billion in future profits from its Venezuela properties, which include a second mining project in Bolivar state known as Choco 5. The takeover is "a further demonstration of the government's earlier decision to expropriate the entire Brisas project," company president Doug Belanger said in the statement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV