BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- McDonald's (MCD) chief executive said Tuesday that despite the recession he doesn't foresee major consolidation -- whether its combinations between companies or store closures -- in the fast-food sector.
CEO James Skinner told an audience at Boston College's Chief Executives' Club that his company will be even stronger after the recession than it was going in, according to several news reports from the luncheon. He added that he has no plans to close any locations in the U.S.
The behemoth fast-food chain has been able to pick up market share as consumers decide to save money by trading down when they choose to dine out, Skinner said.
But one area the company has experienced weakness is at breakfast. Because of high unemployment, fewer people are stopping into McDonald's on their way into work, Skinner said.Last week, McDonald's reported a 6% jump in third-quarter profit and a 2.5% climb in U.S. same-store sales. Rival Burger King (BKC) is expected to report its quarterly results Oct. 29. -- Written by Jeanine Poggi in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV