NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- "Sometimes it feels like there's no pattern to to the markets," Jim Cramer told the viewers of his "Mad Money" TV show Tuesday.
Today, for example, steel stocks such as US Steel (X) got clobbered, while other industrial stocks, like chemical company PPG (PPG), a stock which Cramer owns for his charitable trust, Action Alerts PLUS, finished strong. Oil giants ExxonMobil (XOM) ended higher, meanwhile oil driller Transocean (RIG), finished sharply lower. What's going on? Cramer said we need only look at the calendar.Cramer reminded viewers that we're just three days away from the end of the month, and the end of the fiscal year for many hedge funds and mutual funds. He said this means the race to "mark up," or take higher, a fund's largest positions has begun.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV