Surging Flu Revenue Helps Inverness Post 3Q Profit
WALTHAM, Mass. (AP) ¿ Diagnostics company Inverness Medical Innovations Inc. said Tuesday it turned a profit in the third quarter as sales of flu tests jumped more than fivefold.
Inverness reported a profit of $14.3 million, or 17 cents per share. Leaving out one-time costs such as amortization, restructuring and stock-based compensation, it earned $66.6 million, or 74 cents per share. Inverness lost $9.1 million, or 12 cents per share, a year ago.
According to Thomson Reuters, analysts expected a profit of 61 cents per share, on average. Inverness shares set an annual high of $42.99 Tuesday. In afternoon trading they returned some of their earlier gains, but were still up 68 cents at $40.92.
The company said its net revenue climbed 22 percent to $535.8 million from $438.8 million. That included $40.4 million in North American flu product revenue, compared to $6.8 million a year ago. Inverness also reported $37.4 million in revenue from acquisitions, such as a diagnostic kit business it bought from ACON Laboratories in March, and its recent purchase of Concateno PLC.Analysts had expected $491.7 million in revenue.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV