Life Technologies Says Demand Held Up In 3Q
CARLSBAD, Calif. (AP) ¿ Life Technologies Corp., a life sciences and medical research tools company, said Tuesday that demand for its products was solid in the third quarter, and economic stimulus funds encouraged greater sales.
The company also raised its profit forecast for the full year, and its shares reached an annual high in morning trading.
Life Technologies was formed in November 2008, after Invitrogen Corp. bought Applied Biosystems Inc. for $6.4 billion. Leaving out costs connected to the acquisition and integration of Applied Biosystems, the company said it earned 73 cents per share in the third quarter, matching estimates from analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters, who typically exclude costs.
Revenue totaled $805.1 million ¿ or 3 percent greater than the combined sales of Invitrogen and Applied Biosystems in the third quarter of 2008. The company said molecular biology system revenue grew 5 percent to $394 million, while genetic systems revenue rose 5 percent to $216 million and cell system revenue slid 3 percent to $189 million.Analysts expected $805.1 million in revenue.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV