(Updates with Cisco's closing stock price)
ScanSafe makes network-based security software for businesses looking to manage data connections between offices and workers. The company, based in San Francisco and London, was founded in 1999 by two investment banking brothers, Eldar and Roy Tuvey.
ScanSafe has 150 employees and includes Google (GOOG), AT&T (T) and Sprint (S) among its customers. ScanSafe is among a roster of companies that make so-called software-as-a-service products that provide service from the network or cloud instead of applications installed on computers.Cisco says it plans to add ScanSafe security and filtering products to its virtual private network services. Earlier this month, Cisco agreed to acquire Norwegian video-conferencing specialist Tandberg for $3 billion. And two weeks ago, Cisco made a $2.9 billion deal for wireless gearmaker Starent (STAR). Despite the recent flurry of activity, ScanSafe is only Cisco's sixth acquisition of the year, one more than last year, but lagging its 11 acquisitions in 2007. Cisco shares ended Tuesday's trading session down 0.7% to $23.54.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV