Ballard, QLT: Early Volume Plays
Metabasis Therapeutics (MBRX) plummeted by 39 cents, or 42.9%, to 52 cents in the premarket session after Ligand Pharmaceuticals (LGND) will acquire all of the outstanding shares of Metabasis. Stockholders will receive a cash payment at the closing of the transaction of approximately $3.2 million, less Metabasis' estimated net liabilities at closing and an amount to be deposited in the stockholders' representative's fund, which Metabasis currently estimates the closing payment to be approximately $1.8 million in cash. The three-month average daily volume for Metabasis is 408,000, according to Yahoo! Finance.
LJ International (JADE) jumped by 18 cents, or 4.9%, to $3.88 in the premarket session in the absence of any company-specific news. Investors posting on Internet message boards attributed the move higher to accumulation. On Monday, the stock rose more than 3% on above-average volume. The three-month average daily volume for LJ International is 440,000, according to Yahoo! Finance.
-- Written by Robert Holmes in New York.
Check out all of Tuesday's high-volume, under-$5 stocks at the Dollar StoreFollow Robert Holmes on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV