The selloff appeared to be driven by a report in The Wall Street Journal on Saturday that some officials in the government want BofA to issue more equity before allowing the bank to pay back the $45 billion it owes the U.S. Treasury under its Troubled Asset Relief Program.
That, of course, would mean dilution for BofA shareholders, and the bank led a broad selloff in the sector Monday with its shares dropping more than 5%. Citigroup and Wells Fargo (WFC ), which have also yet to repay the Treasury, fell by 4.26% and 2.97% respectively.
Even banks that have already repaid the TARP money, like JPMorgan Chase (JPM ), Bank of New York Mellon (BNY) and U.S. Bancorp (USB ) sold off sharply, presumably on the theory that regulators would apply similarly tough standards to those healthier banks as well.While on the one hand, it makes perfect sense that bank investors would sell their shares on this news, it may actually be good thing for shareholders if U.S. banks are prodded raise additional capital. For one, if they do go this route, they will look more like Canada's banks, and, if you're judging by stock performance over the last half-decade or so, that would be a big positive. Shares of three of Canada's five largest banks, Royal Bank of Canada (RY), Toronto-Dominion Bank (TD) and The Bank of Nova Scotia (BNS) have outperformed those of JPMorgan during the past five years. The two that haven't, Bank of Montreal (BMO) and the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CM), have fallen short of JPMorgan's performance by just a few percentage points, and have outperformed Bank of New York and U.S. Bancorp, not to mention Citi and BofA.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV