Excluding one-time items, Boyd actually earned 9 cents a share, a penny shy of analysts' estimates.
Revenue slipped 6.6% to $398.2 million from $426.5 million last year.
Privately-held Harrah's Entertainment swung to a third-quarter loss of more than $1 billion and recorded a $1.33 billion drop in the value of its assets.
Harrah's is the largest casino operator in the world by revenue.Wynn plunged 11% to close at $56.13 and Boyd plummeted 17.8% to $8.78. The results are also sending shares down in the rest of the sector, as Las Vegas Sands (LVS) lost 10.9% to end the day at $14.31, Isle of Capri (ISLE) declined 5.6% to $8.88 and MGM Mirage (MGM) tanked 12.5% to $9.63. Las Vegas Sands is set to report its quarterly results on Oct. 29. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV