(Updated with Wynn and Harrah's quarterly results and stock prices.)
LAS VEGAS (TheStreet) -- Casino operators are on a losing streak, as both Wynn Resorts (WYNN) and Boyd Gaming (BYD) have today reported yet another quarter of falling profit, sending shares of the companies tumbling.
Wynn saw its third-quarter earnings tank 33% to $34.2 million, or 28 cents a share, compared with $51.2 million, or 49 cents, in the year-ago period.
|Casinos are struggling as consumers stay away from the slots.|
The company did, however, managed expectations well; excluding property charges and other items, the company earned 33 cents a share, far surpassing analysts' estimates of 15 cents.Revenue inched up to $773 million from $769 million last year. But this is still Wynn's fourth consecutive quarter of falling profit. Similarly, Boyd is on a two-year losing streak, as its profit tumbled nearly 26% in the third quarter -- the eighth consecutive quarter in which the casino operator has reported a profit decline. During the quarter, the company earned $6.3 million, or 7 cents a share, compared with $8.7 million, or 10 cents, in the year-ago period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV