Although the company's bottom line in the period was hurt by a nearly $40 million decline in the value of interest rate swaps it had purchased as a hedging tool, the company said that, excluding the write-down, it would have registered net income of $74.9 million, or 27 cents a share, in the quarter.
Wall Street analysts, who typically strip out these kinds of items from their estimates, were expecting a per-share profit of 20 cents a share.
Because DryShips has issued a tremendous amount of equity since the beginning of the year in a bid to raise money to pay down a significant debt load amassed during the boom years, EPS comparisons with 2009 aren't as informative. A year ago, before the financial meltdown and recession destroyed shipping rates, the company earned $180 million, or $4.13 a share.Revenue, meanwhile, declined 30% to $228 million in the just-ended quarter from $328 million a year ago. That's slightly better than the consensus Wall Street target of about $211 million. DryShips' recent and uncharacteristic move to tie up its fleet into long-term charters meant that nearly 100% of its 39 drybulk vessels didn't need to seek out employment in the volatile spot market during the quarter. The fleet is "virtually fully fixed for the remainder of 2009 and 2010," the company said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV