Don Dion's Weekly ETF Winners and Losers
It was a down week for the index after Friday's energy and transportation led a decline. Disappointing earnings from railroads spooked the market, despite Amazon's (AMZN) impressive earnings. The S&P 500 Index finished the week with a 0.7% loss.
Dick Bove caused a bit of a stir Wednesday after he made positive comments on Wells Fargo (WFC) in the morning, only to reverse them in the afternoon, sending WFC down more than 5% on the day and triggering a market-wide sell-off. Still, when the dust was settled, the gains in the winners outstripped the losses in the losers.
Claymore/AlphaShares China Real Estate (TAO) +6.0%
There were some reasons to think Chinese real estate firms would underperform, given a string of less than stellar IPOs, but a successful IPO of China Real Estate Information (CRIC) on Friday and the 7% increase in the offering size of the pending Hong Kong IPO of Evergrande, a Chinese developer, suggests that some demand has come back into the market.PowerShares DB Base Metals (DBB) +7.7% iPath Copper Total Return ETN (JJC) +6.5% Industrial metals picked up thanks to positive economic data. Dr. Copper is said to have the best forecasting ability of any economist, and he's grown more bullish in October, after turning a bit bearish in September. iPath Grains Total Return (JJG) +7.0% PowerShares DB Agriculture (DBA) +1.7% Last week, DBA was a winner for the week as short-covering lifted grains, but this week JJG was the winner, with DBA's mild gain unimpressive and included only for comparison. JJG has nearly half the portfolio in soybeans, almost one-third in corn, and less than one-quarter in wheat. Corn and soybeans spiked this week and the more concentrated JJG benefited.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV