iPod Is the Hottest Holiday Gift, Poll Says
The mp3 device garnered 42.2% of the vote in our weeklong poll, following Apple's better-than-expected earnings release this week.
Sales jumped 25% in its fourth quarter, on strong demand for Macs and iPhones. And while those two products topped Apple's sales, iPod sales, which include the iPod Touch, reached 10.2 million units sold.
Shares of the company grew 8.4% to end the week at $203.94.The next-hottest gift is not as flashy. TheStreet users (25.1%) said the second most popular present this holiday season would be a Wal-Mart (WMT) gift card. While a survey conducted by Archstone Consulting said Wal-Mart gift card sales are expected to be flat to down by 5%, as Wal-Mart continues to lower prices, gift-givers may well view these cards as carrying the most bang for the buck. The behemoth discounter revealed this week during its two-day annual meeting that it will roll back prices on thousands of items each week during the holiday season. Already, Wal-Mart has reduced prices on toys and books. Amazon's (AMZN) Kindle ranked third with 16.7% of the vote. On Thursday, the e-retailer posted a 69% surge in its third-quarter earnings, which it attributed primarily to Kindle sales.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV