The lack of qualified buyers for Samson was blamed on the fact that the skeleton was put on the market rather hastily by its seller, leaving many interested parties unable to pull together financing.
"If I'd have had this T. rex two years ago, we would have set world records," Thomas Lindgren, co-director of natural history for Bonhams & Butterfields, told the Los Angeles Times.
But such novelties, even ones of a scientific value, are hardly flying off the shelves in tough economic times."If we are lucky, we get one or two orders a day, but they aren't big ones," says Carol Prandi, who, with her husband Al, runs Two Guys Fossils, a Massachusetts seller. The couple started the business 25 years ago, typically offering items such as preserved dinosaur tracks at flea markets. As time went on, they built a network of providers and grew increasingly successful. In 1995, they began selling online. Prandi says the business has had its peaks and valleys. Recently, however, there have been challenges even beyond the economy. For example, fossilized dinosaur eggs have always been in demand. But getting them shipped to the U.S. from China, where many are discovered, is difficult, the result of increased government regulations in that country. Whereas Prandi's customers would once plunk down up to $1,500 in one sale, many have scaled back spending. Replicas and educational toys have proven popular substitutes for the budget-conscious.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV