Excluding items, the carrier lost $110 million, or 83 cents a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had estimated a loss of 94 cents. Revenue fell 16.6% to $2.7 billion, in line with estimates.
The net loss was $80 million or 60 cents a share, compared with a net loss of $866 million or $8.46 a share in the same period a year earlier. Excluding special items, the loss a year earlier was $243 million or $2.36 a share.
Realized fuel hedging losses during the quarter were $50 million, the carrier said."Our third-quarter financial results reflect the soft, but improving economic environment," said CEO Doug Parker, in a prepared statement, who cited "improving demand environment for both business and leisure travel." Total revenue per available seat mile fell 13.5% as capacity fell 3.6%. Ancillary revenue totaled about $110 million, and the carrier said fee revenue will generate more than $500 million annually. Consolidated PRASM fell 15.4%. On the cost side, excluding fuel and special items, mainline cost per available seat mile fell 0.3% to 8.06 cents. As of Sept. 30, the carrier had $2 billion in total cash and investments, of which $500 million was restricted. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. .
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV