(Updated with stock prices.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The major averages rose as much as 1% Thursday as investors greeted a wave of earnings, economic data and executive compensation developments.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose 131.95 points, or 1.3%, to 10,081.31, with help from Travelers (TRV), which rose 7.7% after topping earnings estimates and raising guidance. The S&P 500 advanced 11.51 points, or 1.1%, to 1,092.91, and the Nasdaq, which was in negative territory most of the day, advanced 14.56 points, or 0.7%, to 2,165.29.
Amazon (AMZN) topped estimates immediately after the close, sending shares more than 9% higher in post-market activity.Among the afternoon's headlines, U.S. pay czar, Kenneth Feinberg, announced provisions for salaries of 175 employees at firms receiving government aid. Cash salaries won't exceed $500,000 for 90% of executives, among other regulations. Earlier, the Fed issued a proposal to supervise incentive compensation policies of banking organizations that have led to excessive risk-taking, contributing to bank losses and financial instability. The proposal, which is open to a comment period, includes the review of policy and practices at 28 large banks, in addition to the review of compensation practices at regional, community and other banking organizations not classified as large and complex. The Dow got an early-day lift after the Conference Board said its index of leading indicators increased more than expected, by 1%, in September after an 0.4% increase the month prior. Earlier, the government said that new weekly jobless claims rose more than expected, by 11,000 to 531,000, but the four-week moving average edged down 750 to 532,250. Continuing claims fell more than anticipated, to 5.29 million, from 6.02 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV