Hug Group 3Q Profit, Revenue Down But Tops Views
DOWNERS GROVE, Ill. (AP) ¿ Logistics company and trucking operator Hub Group Inc. said on Wednesday its profit dropped 41.9 percent as it struggled with the recession, but the results were ahead of analyst expectations.
The company said it earned $9.8 million, or 26 cents per share, for the quarter that ended Sept. 30. That was down from a profit of $16.9 million, or 45 cents per share, during the same period last year.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were expecting a profit of 23 cents per share.
Revenue dropped 24 percent to $388.8 million, from $514.2 million a year ago. Analysts were expecting revenue of $372.2 million.Intermodal revenue fell 27 percent to $270 million, as volume fell 9 percent. Truck brokerage revenue fell 27 percent to $74 million. Logistics revenue rose 2 percent to $45 million. "We think that the third-quarter results were reasonable considering the economic environment," CEO David P. Yeager said in a statement. "During this downturn, we have focused on reducing our costs and believe that the efficiencies we have realized will continue to improve our competitive position as the economy recovers." Hub shares rose 47 cents to $26.50 in after-hours trading following the release of the results.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV