NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Restaurant earnings, on the whole, are bad enough to make any investor's stomach churn.
Already this quarter we have seen shares of companies like Darden (DRI) and Brinker (EAT) tumble after they reported better-than-expected earnings, but on disappointing sales. "These companies are surpassing expectations through lower commodity costs and labor efficiencies," Stifel Nicolaus analyst Steve West says. "But Wall Street is tired of this and wants to see quality earnings."
Well, Wall Street will just need to be patient. Sales in the sector are not expected to turn until the third quarter of 2010, at the earliest, when they reach the anniversary point of the easiest annual comparisons. And consumer price index data released earlier this month paints a dreary picture. Food away from home rose just 2.6%, the lowest level of growth year-over-year since 2003.
Regardless, even though the outlook for the sector for the remainder of the year is bleak, some stocks that the savvy investors should consider gobbling up."Right now, and over the next several quarters, it is actually a good buying opportunity, since the rate of change is still positive," Larry Miller, analyst at RBC Capital Markets, says.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV