TheStreet.com Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund ratings and commentary based on award-winning, proprietary tools. Its "safety first" approach to investing aims to reduce risk while seeking total return performance.
The numbers: Fiscal third-quarter profit increased 23% to $22 million, or 48 cents a share, as revenue grew 2% to $285 million. Cooper's gross margin fell from 62% to 59%, but its operating margin rose from 11% to 14%. A quick ratio of 0.8 demonstrates less-than-ideal liquidity. A debt-to-equity ratio of 0.6 indicates reasonable leverage.
The stock: Cooper has advanced 89% this year, more than major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 14, a discount to the market and health care supply peers. Shares pay a 0.2% dividend yield.The model upgraded Manhattan Associates (MANH), a designer of supply-chain software, to "buy." The numbers: Third-quarter net income jumped 155% to $11 million and earnings per share surged 178% to 50 cents, boosted by a lower share count. Revenue fell 21% to $65 million. Manhattan's gross margin rose from 54% to 59% and its operating margin increased from 10% to 17%. The company has an ideal financial position, with $103 million of cash and no debt. The stock: Manhattan Associates is up 42% this year, beating major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 40, a premium to the market and application software peers. The company doesn't pay dividends. The model upgraded M&T Bank (MTB) to "buy." The numbers: Third-quarter net income increased 40% to $128 million and earnings per share climbed 18% to 97 cents, restrained by a higher share count. Revenue grew 7% to $979 million. M&T's gross margin rose from 55% to 69% and its operating margin increased from 19% to 37%. The company is adequately capitalized, with $1.4 billion of cash reserves. A debt-to-equity ratio of 1.7 indicates higher-than-ideal leverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV