Supertex Shares Fall After 2Q Profit Miss
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Supertex Inc. shares fell Wednesday after the chip maker's fiscal second quarter profit missed Wall Street forecasts as its profit margin shrank.
The stock tumbled $3.11, or 10.7 percent, to $25.91 in afternoon trading.
Late Tuesday, Supertex reported net earnings of $1.1 million, or 8 cents per share, compared with $4.5 million, or 35 cents per share, in the same quarter a year ago.
Sales dropped 32 percent to $15.9 million.Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected 10 cents per share on sales of $14.8 million. Supertex said its second-quarter gross margin was 47 percent, six percentage points lower than in the first quarter. It attributed the drop to "the non-linear loading of our wafer fab and backend operations." CEO Henry Pao said he expects the gross margin in the company's third quarter to be similar to the second quarter number, noting that Supertex is planning a normal wafer fabrication facility shutdown for maintenance. In a note to investors, Morgan Keegan analyst Harsh Kumar attributed Supertex's earnings miss primarily to the lower gross margin and said the margin is being hurt because its factories are operating below capacity. He reiterated a "market perform" rating on the stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV