ATMI Posts Better-than-expected 3Q Results
DANBURY, Conn. (AP) ¿ ATMI Inc. said Wednesday its third-quarter profit declined because of lower revenue, but sales improved sequentially and the results surpassed Wall Street's expectations.
The company, which provides specialty materials to semiconductor makers, posted a profit of $6.5 million, or 21 cents per share, down 35 percent from $10.1 million, or 32 cents per share, in the same period a year earlier.
The latest quarter's results included a tax benefit of 4 cents per share, but even without it the profit exceeded analysts' average estimate of 9 cents per share.
Revenue fell 16 percent to $72.6 million from $86.7 million.On average, analysts were expecting sales of $68.5 million, according to a poll by Thomson Reuters. The company said its performance during the quarter was "largely consistent with the market," and revenue from its major product lines improved sequentially. Shares rose 19 cents to $18.19 in midday trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV