Sudanese Cargo Plane Crashes North Of Dubai
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) ¿ A Sudanese cargo plane crashed shortly after takeoff Wednesday from Sharjah airport near Dubai, killing at least six crew members.
The Boeing 707 operated by Sudan Airways went down in unpopulated desert about two miles (three kilometers) north of the airport, said Sheik Khalid al-Qassimi, director of the Sharjah department of civil aviation. He said there were no survivors among the six crew members aboard.
Sudan's official SUNA news agency quoted an unnamed official from the airline as saying seven crew members were killed. The discrepancy in the toll could not immediately be reconciled.As night fell, the cause of the crash remained unclear. The "black box" flight recorders that should contain information about the flights have been recovered, al-Qassimi said. Witnesses described seeing the plane swing sharply to the right shortly after takeoff as it struggled to gain altitude. "We saw it taking off at quite a low level. The nose was quite high. Higher than normal," said Bill Buchanan, a Dubai resident who was playing golf nearby. "It veered to the right, then nosed down straight into the desert. There was a huge ball of fire and smoke."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV