HMN Financial reported third-quarter earnings of $881,000, or 12 cents a share, compared with a year-ago loss of $7.1 million, or $1.93 a share. The bank also said its provision for loan losses fell to $3.4 million from $15.8 million in the year-ago quarter.
Additionally, nonperforming assets totaled $77.2 million in the third quarter, down $2.3 million sequentially, HMN Financial said. Delinquencies over 30 days as a percentage of its loan and lease portfolio fell to 0.45% from 1.18% in the second quarter.
Shares of HMN Financial was jumping by 82 cents, or 23.9%, to $4.25. Earlier in the session, the stock touched an intraday high of $4.37. Nearly 42,000 shares changed hands in the first half-hour of trading Wednesday, compared to the stock's 50-day average daily volume of only 2,000 shares, according to the Nasdaq.HMN Financial has a 3.2 million-share float with a short interest float of only 0.1% as of Sept. 25, according to Yahoo! Finance. More than 23% of the company's shares are held by insiders with another 32% owned by institutions. -- Written by Robert Holmes in New York. Check out all of Tuesday's high-volume, under-$5 stocks at the Dollar Store Follow Robert Holmes on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV