Updated with stock prices.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 92.12 points, or 0.9%, to 9949.36, while the S&P 500 shed 9.66 points, or 0.9%, to 1081.40. The Nasdaq gave up 12.74 points, or 0.6%, to 2150.73.
The Treasury Department is planning to cut pay in half, on average, compared with 2008 for the for the best-paid executives at Citigroup, Bank of America (BAC), American International Group (AIG), General Motors, Chrysler and the two automakers' financing arms, the New York Times reported Wednesday. Salaries, excluding bonuses and retirement packages, are set to be chopped by 90%.Stocks gave up gains late Wednesday afternoon after analyst Dick Bove lowered his rating for Wells Fargo (WFC) to sell. The bank topped estimates with its quarterly report earlier in the day, fell steeply after the downgrade, ultimately losing 5.1%. "The bottom line is overall we've had a weak reaction to earnings, and at the same time, the option expiration was last week -- this is the first week of a five week options cycle -- and historically that's more bearish," says Ryan Detrick, senior technical strategist for Schaeffer's Investment Research. "So a little bit of selling this week isn't a shock." Yahoo! (YHOO) and Morgan Stanley (YHOO) were still 2.9% and 4.8% higher, respectively, after after strong quarterly reports. But other reports -- from the likes of Wells Fargo and Deutsche Bank (DB), for instance -- continued to top estimates, but failed to impress. "We knew that
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV