Altria Group 3Q Profit Rises On Cost-cutting
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) ¿ The Marlboro Man roped in a larger portion of the cigarette market even as smokers bought fewer of Altria Group Inc.'s cigarettes in the third quarter.
Cost-cutting and Altria's cigar business helped keep the company in the saddle with a 1.7 percent increase in its third-quarter profit.
The Richmond-based parent company of the nation's largest cigarette maker, Philip Morris USA, said Wednesday that Marlboro was the only leading premium brand to increase market share during the third quarter as many consumers switched to cheaper brands or bought fewer cigarettes to save money.While Marlboro's volume fell about 15 percent, it regained market share lost the previous quarter and ended up with 41.9 percent of the U.S. cigarette market, according to data from Information Resources Inc. "The good news for Marlboro is it is such a strong brand," Edward Jones analyst Jack Russo said of the cigarettes, which now sell for an average of $5.29 per pack of 20. "That's pretty darn expensive. You have to really like the product."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV