Stocks fell from 2009 highs after the Commerce Department said home building rose less than expected in September, a discouraging signal for future construction activity. The Dow Jones industrial average fell 50.71, or 0.5 percent, to 10,041.48.
The market will get another measure of the housing market's health Friday with a report on existing home sales. After several months of encouraging data on housing, investors have become disappointed in recent weeks with signs that a recovery in home building and home sales is starting to falter, which could bode poorly for the broader economy.
Oil hits $80, then falls first time in a weekOil futures closed lower for the first time in more than a week Tuesday, but only after passing $80 per barrel and pulling retail gasoline prices higher. The impact of the U.S. currency became abundantly clear midmorning when crude prices fell by 1 percent as soon as the dollar went into positive territory against the euro. Crude prices have risen swiftly this month, moving in the opposite direction of the dollar. When the dollar loses value, crude becomes very attractive as an investment. Crude is traded in dollars, so it essentially gets cheaper when the U.S. currency is weak.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV