Calif. Sues Bank, Alleges More Than $200M In Fraud
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) ¿ California Attorney General Jerry Brown accused State Street Bank and Trust Co. of "unconscionable fraud" on Tuesday, claiming in a lawsuit the firm had bilked the state's largest pension funds of more than $200 million.
The suit alleges Boston-based State Street overcharged the California Public Employees Retirement System and the California State Teachers' Retirement System with fees and penalties for handling foreign currency trades.
"For years, State Street, led by a group of its internal 'risk traders,' raided the custodial accounts of California's two largest public pension funds, in a total amount exceeding $56 million, by fraudulently pricing foreign currency trades State Street executed for the pension funds," the state's complaint alleges.The bank denied the claims. "We categorically deny any allegations of wrongdoing and will defend ourselves against any litigation," Hannah Grove, a spokeswoman for the bank, said in an e-mail. Brown launched an independent investigation into the bank after a group of whistleblowers called Associates Against FX Insider Trading raised the claims in a 2008 lawsuit.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV