ETF Plays if Cnooc Gets Gulf Access
By Michael Johnston of ETF Database.
The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Cnooc Ltd. (CEO), a state-owned Chinese oil company, is close to a deal that would open the U.S. Gulf of Mexico to China's oil companies for the first time.
The potential transaction reflects the impact that the recent recession has had on global dealmaking. Four years ago, Cnooc abandoned a bid for California-based Unocal after its overtures created a firestorm of protests from U.S. politicians.
How times have changed."As tight credit has caused a lull in spending on offshore exploration, appetite for Chinese capital has grown, and opposition to Chinese investment may be less likely," writes David Winning. Cnooc is reportedly close to a deal with Norway's StatoilHydro ASA for multiple leases in the desirable U.S. Gulf of Mexico, a region where billions of barrels of crude are believed to be trapped offshore. The entrance of a state-owned Chinese oil company into the region is a major development. While it seems that the low point of the recession has passed, the current economic environment remains one of the best buyers' markets in decades, and the few companies (and countries) with enough cash to continue making deals find themselves with some excellent opportunities. With a thriving economy and massive holdings of Treasuries, some see China as holding all the cards now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV