Corus, Dril-Quip: Ratings Changes
The numbers: Second-quarter net income fell 20% to $20 million and earnings per share dropped 16% to 38 cents, cushioned by a lower share count. Revenue grew marginally to $121 million. The company's gross margin declined from 80% to 76% and its operating margin fell from 30% to 22%. The company has an admirable financial position, with $464 million of cash, compared to $241 million of debt.
The stock: Gen-Probe is up 3% this year, lagging behind major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 25, a premium to the market, but a discount to health care equipment peers. The company doesn't pay dividends.
The model upgraded oil and gas driller Helmerich & Payne (HP) to "buy."
The numbers: Fiscal third-quarter profit dropped 58% to $53 million, or 50 cents a share, as revenue decreased 26% to $388 million. The company's gross margin declined from 48% to 43% and its operating margin fell from 35% to 23%. The company has adequate liquidity, evident in its quick ratio of 1.3. Its debt-to-equity ratio of 0.2 is below the industry average, demonstrating restrained leverage.The stock: Helmerich & Payne has surged 94% this year, beating major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 11, a discount to the market and oil and gas peers. Shares pay a 0.5% dividend yield. The model downgraded natural gas and electric utility Vectren (VVC) to "hold." The numbers: The company swung to a second-quarter loss of $6.7 million, or 8 cents a share, from a profit of $4.7 million, or 6 cents a share, in the year-earlier period. Revenue dropped 19% to $376 million. Vectren's gross margin increased from 17% to 23% and its operating margin rose from 7% to 9%. A quick ratio of 0.4 indicates weak liquidity. A debt-to-equity ratio of 1.2 reflects higher-than-ideal leverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV