Corus, Dril-Quip: Ratings Changes
TheStreet.com Ratings provides exclusive stock, ETF and mutual fund ratings and commentary based on award-winning, proprietary tools. Its "safety first" approach to investing aims to reduce risk while seeking total return performance.
The numbers: The company swung to a fiscal third-quarter loss of $145 million, or $1.81 a share, from a profit of $38 million, or 45 cents a share, in the year-earlier period. Revenue declined 6% to $195 million. The company's gross margin rose from 47% to 53% and its operating margin increased from 27% to 29%. A quick ratio of 1 demonstrates adequate liquidity. A debt-to-equity ratio of 0.8 reflects reasonable leverage.
The stock: Corus is up 48% this year, more than major U.S. indices. The company does not have a trailing price-to-earnings ratio due to the size of its fiscal third-quarter loss. Shares pay a 3.4% dividend yield.The model upgraded Dril-Quip (DRQ), a maker of offshore-drilling equipment, to "buy." The numbers: Second-quarter net income declined 4% to $27 million, but earnings per share remained flat at 68 cents due to a lower share count. Revenue dropped 7% to $133 million. The company's gross margin rose from 44% to 45% and its operating margin increased from 26% to 27%. Dril-Quip has an ideal financial position, with $116 million of cash, compared to $1.4 million of debt. The stock: Dril-Quip has surged 163% this year, beating major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 21, indicating parity with the market, but a premium to oil and gas equipment peers. The company doesn't pay dividends. The model upgraded health-care-equipment maker Gen-Probe (GPRO) to "buy."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV