Next was Harris NA, held by Bank of Montreal (BMO). It maintained its C-minus (fair) rating after posting a second-quarter loss of $44 million. After charging-off $248 million in problem loans in the fourth quarter, nonperforming loans crept up during the first and second quarters, leaving Harris with a nonperforming-assets ratio of 1.62% as of June 30. Loan-loss reserves covered 2.65% of total loans, well ahead of the 1.75% annualized ratio of net charge-offs to total loans for the second quarter.
The bank with the weakest asset quality among the 10 biggest in the state was Amcore Bank NA, a subsidiary of Amcore Financial (AMFI). Amcore was in serious trouble, with an 8.98% nonperforming-assets ratio and a total risk-based capital of 8.78% as of June 30. In late June, the bank agreed with the Federal Reserve and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency to achieve and maintain a total risk-based capital ratio of 12% by Sept. 30.
Amcore is scheduled to release third-quarter results Oct. 27. While the company announced the sale of four branches in August, it has remained silent about compliance with its regulatory capital requirement.
Illinois Banks With Weakest Loan QualityFifteen Illinois institutions were included in TheStreet.com's list of Undercapitalized Banks and Thrifts published Aug. 28 and based on June 30 financial reports. Of 116 undercapitalized institutions on the list, 13 have failed. From 89 banks and thrifts on a similar list published in May, more than half have been shuttered. There were 23 Illinois banks and thrifts with nonperforming-assets ratios above 10% as of June 30. Nonperforming assets include nonaccrual loans, accruing loans past due 90 days or more, and repossessed real estate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV