CHICAGO (TheStreet) -- Illinois, which has more banks and thrifts than any other state, counts 71 institutions with "recommended" ratings of B-plus (good) or higher, according to a review by TheStreet.com Ratings. But 11 of Illinois' 641 banks and savings and loan associations were weighed down with critically poor loan quality.
The most recent Illinois failure and the largest in the state during the crisis was Corus Bank of Chicago, closed by federal regulators on Sept. 11. Corus' deposits were sold by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. to MB Financial (MBFI). (See TheStreet.com's enhanced interactive Bank Failure Map for a detailed summary.)
Strongest Illinois Banks and ThriftsIn addition to 71 institutions rated B-plus or above in the second quarter, down from 75 in the previous quarter, the state has 37 banks and thrifts rated A- (excellent) or higher.
Largest Illinois InstitutionsThe following includes capital, earnings and asset-quality indicators.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV