Shares Of Exchanges Fall With Downgrades, Market
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) ¿ Shares of exchange and trading platform providers mostly fell Friday as the broader markets trended downward and an analyst downgraded or lowered estimates on several companies.
GFI Group Inc. fell 54 cents, or 7 percent, to $7.15 after Keefe, Bruyette & Woods analyst Niamh Alexander downgraded the inter-dealer broker, which specializes in derivatives and related products.
The analyst cut the stock to "Market Perform" from "Outperform" saying there's more upside potential in other stocks in the sector that are better prepared in a changing derivatives trading landscape.
Alexander said proposed legislation could force changes in over-the-counter trading could result in lighter volumes for the company.Other exchange stocks that fell in midday trading included Nasdaq OMX Group Inc., down 56 cents, or 2.7 percent, to $19.85; NYSE Euronext, down 54 cents to $29.40; and Interactive Brokers Group, which fell 72 cents, or 3.4 percent, to $20.21. Alexander downgraded Nasdaq to "Market Perform" from "Outperform" and lowered his 2010 earnings estimate to $2.12 from $2.32. He concluded the business mix, market position and extent of cost cutting leaves the company with "fewer positive catalysts ahead and room for more downside risk to estimates."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV