"These results will substantially outperform the industry, gaining share in Systems & Technology, in servers, and in storage," he said. "We now expect the Systems & Technology Group to deliver double-digit profit growth in the fourth quarter."
The finance chief also took a swipe at IBM's software rivals, explaining that the company is gaining share against Microsoft and Oracle (ORCL). Loughridge's comments came just a few days after Oracle chief Larry Ellison vowed to challenge IBM through his firm's Sun (JAVA) acquisition. The two companies are clearly suiting up for battle.
-- Reported by James Rogers in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV