IBM's stock has risen 45% this year, as investors have warmed to the company's growing reputation as a recession-buster. One of the big success stories of the economic slowdown, IBM continued its margin growth in the third quarter, despite year-over-year revenue declines in most of its business units. Software led the way during the third quarter with a gross profit margin of 85.7% and the company pushed its overall margin up by almost two percentage points to 45.1%.
"Software was the key profit driver for IBM during its expansion over the past six years, and continues to drive profit growth even during the recession," wrote Allan Krans, a senior analyst at TBR, in a note released Friday. "Although IBM was outpaced in growth by more aggressive competitors such as Microsoft (MSFT) and VMware (VMW) during positive economic conditions, IBM Software is maintaining much more consistent performance during the recession."
Microsoft, in contrast, has been hit with falling sales, and VMware has seen a significant slowdown in its recent explosive growth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV