Targacept Unveils Stellar Depression Drug Data: BioBuzz
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (TheStreet) -- There are times when clinical data crosses the wire and you do a double take, not quite believing what you're seeing.
Last night, after Targacept (TRGT) announced the data from its phase II study of TC-5214, was one of those times.
Depression patients treated with the combination of TC-5214 plus Celexa (marketed by Forest Labs (FRX)) demonstrated a 6-point improvement on the Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression, or HAM-D, compared to patients treated with Celexa alone.
A reporter from a Winston-Salem newspaper emailed me last night to get my impression of this result. The only thing I could think to respond back with was, "Holy $%@!! That's kick-a-- good!"As I wrote last week in a preview note on the TC-5214 data, investor expectations going into Thursday night's data presentation in Chicago were high, but not 6-points-on-the-HAM-D high. I think people would have been happy with anything greater than a 2-3 point improvement. TC-5214 hit all the secondary endpoints of the study, too, including the Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale, or MADRS, where TC-5214 plus Celexa demonstrated a greater than seven-point improvement over Celexa alone. The safety and tolerability of TC-5214 was clean, with resolvable adverse event rates of nausea, constipation and dizziness in the single digits. This is a phase II study, so TC-5214 still has to prove itself in large phase III studies, but right now, Targacept's drug looks a lot better than Bristol-Myers Squibb's (BMY) Abilify, which received an expanded FDA approval as an add-on treatment to anti-depressant therapy in late 2007.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV