"Under the Radar" uncovers little-known companies worthy of investors' consideration. Browse this week's picks.
COLUMBUS, Ohio ( TheStreet) -- Lancaster Colony (LANC), based in Columbus, Ohio, has an eclectic product line-up: specialty foods, glassware and candles. Its businesses fared well during fiscal 2009, which ended June 30. Sales grew 7.2% and profit surged 137%.
The company swung to a fiscal fourth-quarter profit of $28 million, or $1.10 a share, from a loss of $2.6 million, or 9 cents a share, a year earlier. Last year's quarterly results were hampered by a $13 million loss from the sale of automotive operations.
Lancaster's gross margin rose from 18% to 28%, and its operating margin jumped from 8% to 17%. Margins benefited from cost-cutting and organic sales growth. The cost of sales fell 6% to $188 million as revenue increased 7% to $253 million.Its specialty foods segment sells a range of products, including salad dressings, dips and even a line of caviar. Food accounted for about 90% of quarterly sales. Glassware and candles contributed the rest. Food generated $47 million of operating profit, while glassware and candles suffered a loss of $875,000. Since the year-earlier quarter, Lancaster's balance sheet has markedly improved. The company paid off the entirety of its $55 million long-term debt and doubled its cash balance to $38 million. We give Lancaster a financial-strength score of 9.4 out of 10, higher than the "buy"-list average of 7. The shares have rallied 51% this year, more than major U.S. indices. But at a trailing price-to-earnings ratio of 16 and a forward P/E ratio of 14, Lancaster is still cheap compared with the overall market and packaged-food peers. The stock trades at 3.5 times book value.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV