Xstrata Won't Make Offer For Anglo American
LONDON (AP) ¿ Mining company Xstrata PLC said Thursday that it won't make an offer for rival Anglo American PLC, backing out of a merger proposal which Anglo American had firmly resisted.
In May, Anglo American rejected a merger overture from Xstrata, its Anglo-Swiss rival. The proposed combination would create a group worth $68 billion, ranking the combined company behind BHP Billiton and Rio Tinto.
Thursday's announcement came days ahead of an Oct. 20 deadline set by London's Takeover Panel for Xstrata to "put up or shut up."Xstrata is now barred from making another for Anglo American for at least six months. However, Xstrata said it reserved the right to participate in a third-party bid for Anglo American. Xstrata shares were down 1.8 percent at 1,012 pence on the London Stock Exchange. Anglo American shares were down 3.6 percent at 2,228 pence. "Although Xstrata would clearly love to undertake a deal at some point, for now it is unwilling ¿ and unable ¿ to pay the premium demanded by the shareholders of Anglo American," said Jonathan Jackson, analyst at Killik & Co. in London.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV