Editor's note: The following article was written by Maj Soueidan, the founder of The Markets Edge Hedge Fund and GeoInvesting. Soueidan's "GeoTeam" of researchers and analysts uses fundamental criteria to analyze micro- and small-cap stocks.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Recent developments with some U.S.-listed China stocks have created compelling investment opportunities.
I have never been a fan of investing in penny stocks, but recent market turmoil and some of the China reverse-merger deals have caused the shares of some profitable Chinese companies to sell for pennies, and for far less than book value.
Book value isn't the most important criterion when valuing stocks, but in certain cases it can be a useful tool, particularly when a company is trading for less than its book value but is seeing its earnings per share grow.Obviously, one must ascertain why a stock is selling for less than its book value. It happens in the China sector for three major reasons: capital structure, liquidity and lack of exposure. I have found that companies that can address these issues eventually see their stock prices gravitate toward their book values. The key for investors is to identify companies that have catalysts for positive change. The table below contains examples of such stocks that we identified and then saw recover. The beauty of most of the following examples is that not only were they selling for less than book value when we found them, but they were growing their earnings and/or had bright futures. In other words, they had the ideal combination of value and growth. That said, our initial goal with this strategy is to identify stocks for which the market will reprice risk away from a failure assumption.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV