The device, called Booklet, will cost $299 at Best Buy with a two-year, $60 data plan on AT&T (T), a $1,740 total price over the course of the contract. The thin, metal mini-laptop runs on Microsoft's (MSFT) new Windows 7 operating systems and Intel's (INTC) stripped down Atom chip.
In appearances, the slim shiny body approximates Apple's (AAPL) MacBooks and boasts a 12-hour battery time, though use of the 3G connection will cut that battery time significantly. In addition to the 3G network access, the Booklet includes GPS and WiFi.
|Nokia 3G Booklet|
AT&T's emerging devices manager Glenn Lurie told reporters at a New York Nokia media event that Best Buy (BBY) made the decision to sell the Booklet for $299 and for $599 without a service contract.Lurie also hinted that there would be cheaper data plans coming from AT&T. Most netbooks sell for around $300 and users typically connect to the Internet through WiFi or a wire from their home networks. Telcos subsidize the consumer cost of the devices in exchange for two-year data plans. But the steep additional costs have been one of the barriers to better sales. AT&T is aware of that, and the company has started to show some flexibility with data pricing. "We need to give customers more choice" on data plans, Lurie said, adding that AT&T "will have some announcements before the holidays."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV