EAS Fund Discovers New Emerging Markets
What is your best "sleeper" fund pick?
Isbitts: I'll give you two to provide an idea of the wide range of funds we research and use in the EAS Genesis Fund: Nakoma Absolute Return Fund (NARFX) and T. Rowe Price Africa and Middle East Fund (TRAMX). Nakoma runs a long-short fund and is run by a group we hold in high regard. They are risk managers first, return generators second. The T. Rowe Price fund allows us access to the frontier markets, which are markets not yet as developed as the more familiar emerging markets. We want to participate in the very long-term growth potential of these frontier markets, and this fund is a convenient way to do so with daily liquidity as part of our "fund-of-mutual funds" structure.
What is your favorite sector?
Isbitts: Our favorite sectors are the aforementioned environmental equities as well as global infrastructure. And since those ideas may take time for their true potential to be widely recognized by the market, we use a variety of hedging techniques in our fund to try to create a much smoother ride for the long-term investor.Which sector or stock would you avoid? Isbitts: I think that over a medium- to long-term time horizon, high-quality bonds and funds/ETFs that own them are an accident waiting to happen. I am not saying that the U.S. economy will collapse, but I believe that the U.S. government will not be able to borrow so cheaply going forward. If you look back at the last time we had higher inflation leading to higher bond yields, you will quickly see that there are some surprises waiting for financial advisers and their clients if they think that either their real and nominal capital can be preserved by investing the way they did in the 1990s.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV