Tech Hitting the M&A Trail
The networking space also offers rich pickings, according to the analyst, who highlights switch maker F5 Networks (FFIV), and Wide Area Network (WAN) optimizer Riverbed (RVBD) as particularly attractive. With firms pushing more and more data across global networks, there is a lot of interest in WAN optimization, but Gruia feels that Riverbed's $1.62 billion market cap could be a deterrent to potential suitors.
"Starent are strong competitors in the mobile content space," he said, speculating that they could be a good fit for Juniper (JNPR) or Cisco.
Two names, however, are popping up repeatedly in tech M&A discussions."Brocade would make sense for H-P because it would give them storage networking and high-end IP networking," said Gruia. 451Group analyst Brenon Daly echoed this sentiment. "What do H-P and Brocade both have in common? They both square off against Cisco," he explained. "Brocade is a key component of networking infrastructure." Both H-P and Brocade declined to comment on the rumors linking the two firms when recently contacted by TheStreet, although storage certainly seems to be a busy space. NetApp, for example, has also been generating plenty of buzz after losing out to EMC (EMC) in the tussle to acquire Data Domain (DDUP). One company said to be eyeing a storage play is Dell. Praveen Asthana, the firm's vice president of enterprise storage, would not rule out M&A in an interview with TheStreet earlier this week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV