Tech Hitting the M&A Trail
(Updated to reflect Cisco's bid for Starent)
After weathering the recession, tech companies like Cisco, Dell (DELL), Adobe (ADBE) and IBM (IBM) are again hunting strategic opportunities. There were 740 deals in the third quarter, according to analyst firm The451 Group, slightly down on the prior quarter's 767 acquisitions, but higher than the 733 deals clinched in the same period last year.
Storage specialists Brocade (BRCD) and NetApp (NTAP) have attracted most of the recent M&A chatter, although at least one analyst thinks that data security could also be fertile ground for acquisitions."I would look for Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) to be a buyer in security," said Brenon Daly, lead M&A analyst at The451Group, explaining that the computer maker is mirroring arch-rival IBM. H-P, for example, bought EDS to compete with IBM in services, and threw down $4.5 billion on Mercury Interactive to boost its management software story. "But one area where they haven't made a large purchase is security," explains Daly. "H-P sells a lot of storage software and there's an obvious connection between storing data and securing it." The recent success of companies like McAfee (MFE) proves that security is a top spending priority. McAfee, which was one of TheStreet's top tech picks for 2009, recently enjoyed an 18% second-quarter sales hike and beat analysts' profit estimate.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV