By Michael Johnston of ETF Database.com
The turmoil that has plagued U.S. equity markets over the last two years will no doubt have several lasting effects. Regulation of the financial sector has been permanently changed. The role of the government in the private sector has been escalated to levels never before imagined. And the wisdom of allocating nearly all of one's portfolio to U.S. securities has come under heavy fire.
As U.S. investors look to diversify their holdings beyond their borders, many are looking to Asia, where some countries have already begun raising interest rates, to drive a sustained recovery. But a growing number of investors believe European stocks are also poised to rise rapidly over the next two years amid a recovering economy, increasing corporate earnings and a favorable monetary policy.
In The Wall Street Journal, Dave Kansas outlines a fairly straightforward investment case for Europe:
- Average price-to-earnings ratios are at about 16, down from a historical level in the low 20s in the 1990s.
- Stocks are about 15% below their long-term average price-to-book ratio.
- Dividend yields relative to government bond yields remain attractive.
Uneven GrowthDespite geographic proximity and a common currency, the fates of many European economies have been remarkably independent of each other. Spain, once home to a booming construction industry, has seen its economy collapse and could experience unemployment as high as 25% in coming years. Ireland has been another laggard, as the "Celtic Tiger," spurred by low corporate taxes and improved educational infrastructure, now seems far less fierce. Even the U.K. faces significant risks, as large government stakes in financial giants Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) and Lloyds Banking Group (LYG) make investors a bit uneasy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV